G-PRAGLIA

Italy
Padova Province

The Knowledge Pool of
Province of Padova

Church Route

 PP11_mapy s kruhem_Stránka_10

Padova Region Churches Route

Benedictine Correzzola Court in Correzzola

GPS:
45.23407562714479; 12.066936492919922

The Padova Benedictine Abbey purchased the area around Correzzola in 1129 with a view to farm the land following extensive draining works by the employed local farmers to make the land arable.
The Court, basically a large farm, was located on the banks of the Bacchiglione River, hosted a horse farm with around 100 animals, vegetable gardens, wells, cereal storage rooms, ovens, looms, pen-houses, which were managed by the monks. The highest peak of the evelopment was reached around the 16th C., then a slow decline started. Across the centuries, the court went through several changes marked by the transfer of ownership until the final handover to the Community of Correzzola after 1st WW.
Throughout the 20th C. the Court destiny was determined by a continuing fall into disrepair and abandon until the Nineties when the Municipality launched a scheme to repair and renovate the court applying for European funds as well as private and public subventions.
At the end of the works, part of the court was turned into a hostel and part into the Town Hall offices.
Nowadays, evens thanks to the public involvement, the southern part of the province of Padua, and the court too, play a basic role in slow tourism (cycle path developing along waterways).

 

Benedictine Praglia Abbey in Teolo

GPS:
45.363514; 11.735243999999966

The Benedictine Abbey in Praglia lies at the foot of the Euganean Hills, 12 Km from Padua, along the ancient road leading to Este: Its name derives from Pratalea (a place covered by meadows), the name generally given in Medieval documents.

In the 11th – 12th century was the foundation of the monastery by the powerful family of Maltraverso di Montebello. In 15th century the community begins its revival under the monastic reform led by the abbey of St. Giustina in Padua, after a long period of crisis that began in the second half of the 14thcentury.

From 1806and 1810 with Napoleon’s military occupation, the confiscation of goods is decreed, and finally, the suppression of the monastery. In 1904 the monks return to Praglia. Their life of prayer and work begins again, following the Rule of St. Benedict.
The vastness of the building, the harmonic rationality and equilibrium of the four cloisters articulating the space, the architectonic style in which the late gothic and the incipient renaissance styles are happily integrated, makes the abbey of praglia a remarkable monument of art.

www.praglia.it

Benedictine St. Justine Abbey in Padova

GPS:
45.396687,11.880123

The St. Justine Abbey, that shows a profusion of Byzantine style, is in the centre of Padua, facing the Prato della Valle (one of the largest square in the world), and its present shape derives from construction in the 17th century. It was founded in the 6th century to house the tomb of Saint Justine of Padua..

It houses the relics and bodies of martyrs as St. Luke the Evangelist and St. Matthias and the remains of the Patrons of the city, St. Justine and St. Prosdocimo, the first bishop of Padua according to the popular tradition.
Two times the Benedictine monks were removed from their abbey: the two suppressions took place during Napoleon’s government and under the dynasty of Savoy. In spite of the removal of the monks’ community and the plundering, the work of Monks began again and the complex preserves important treasures.

www.abbaziasantagiustina.org

Along Thetris Church Route you can also visit:

– Candiana Cathedral in Candiana

– Benedictine Legnaro Court in Legnaro

Analysis

Analysis focused on tangible and intangible culture heritage linked to regional churches.

Strategy

Pilot Actions

Policies

Signposts

Media

Database

4608 Total Views 1 Views Today